Now I have had quite a bit to say about Warhammer in general, but haven’t said anything about my own ventures with miniatures (wouldn’t be much of a Warhammer fan if I didn’t.) So I am big into Eldar, Dark Eldar and Deathguard, with them being my main three forces. I decided I needed to do something a little different for my Eldar force and wanted to go with an Autarch on foot. Now ask most people who are acquainted with the Eldar minis and they will agree that an Autarch on foot is a little difficult to find. Games Workshop has had miniatures for this purpose in the past, but trying to find one now is rather hard. So I decided for the first time I would do my own conversion, which was rather exciting for me.
For starters the Craftworlds codex tells us that we HAVE to have a Star Glaive which is something I have found people to have mixed opinions about for a couple reasons. People aren’t a fan of the stat line with it being x2 str which on an Eldar isn’t much of an upgrade with their base three strengths. Also modeling wise you are more limited too, basically an Dire Avenger exarch power glaive or the Prince Yriel glaive. Speaking of Prince Yriel, he is the closest you get to a foot autarch so he is often the top choice for people’s conversions. With all that aside lets get down to brass tacks.
So I decided I wanted a fusion gun, and reaper launcher on top of the Star Glaive, which getting the Fusion gun was easy enough as I got one from the Storm Guardians conversion pack. The only issue is that it was for the right hand so I had to custom make a left handed glaive. Took a left over spear arm from my Scourge sprue, took the head of the spear off and replaced it with the head of Dire Avenger exarch glaive along with the shaft. Then for the body I took Prince Yriel and took the head off to stick a Dire Avenger helmet on instead (As I very much enjoy that helmet.) Lastly the Prince Yriel flags had the symbol of Iyanden which I didn’t need so I did my best to scrap it off. After I was satisfied with how it was looking I had decided that I needed to get myself some makeshift mandiblasters on my Autarch. I took a couple of Lasguns that were sitting around, cut the barrels off and put those onto the sides of the helmet. Then to finish it off I took some of the classic GW Green Stuff to make the Mandiblasters fit in better and look better all around. Still need to find a reaper launcher, but that is a problem for later.
So without further ado this is how my Autarch looks at this moment after all of this.
I am no master modeller and it still needs work (especially on the banner to the right,) but I am rather happy with it thus far. Also I would like to take this opportunity to say that I would love to be able to do spotlights of models that people show/send me, but for now that could be a bit of the way down the road.